Monday, November 28, 2011

The First Real Mishap.

After spending a lovely Thanksgiving with my family in Kersey (and Ben with his in Charlotte), we hit the road and made our way to Moab, UT.  My Grandma suggested that I post a few pictures to show you guys all how we have been traveling.  She's right, I should have done it sooner... So, here is a picture of the car:

The car is full to the brim of everything we want to live off of (and with) for the next while.  You can see the bikes on the back, and the rocket box... Full of skis, a snowboard, boots, our winter gear and all sorts of other stuff.  We're staying at a campsite here in Moab - here's a picture of our tent and Ben cooking some dinner.  Also, notice the awesome candle we have burning on the table.  It was a gift from my Aunt Kathy (the one on my mom's side this time).  She makes them herself and they smell delicious, and you should really check out her etsy shop, Delicate by Nature Handcrafts, for some excellent Christmas ideas.
So, for our first day in Moab we decided to hit up one of the trails that is supposed to be a great introductory ride... Klondike Bluffs.  First I'd like to tell you about the scenery... It's so different from where we're from.  It's all canyon rims, red rocks and sand, and gosh... It is so beautiful.  It's amazing - I find myself wondering how it's possible that these formations and landscapes are created naturally.  Here is a picture from the actual Klondike Bluffs, where the trail took us.  It looks beautiful and desert-y and warm, but check out the ice puddle... Beautiful yes, warm no.
We picked up a fun trail called Baby Steps and took it back down to the trailhead... We had had ridden a little over 12 miles.  We took a break and decided to go for one more loop, another 3 miles or so to finish it all up and get a good experience of the trails where we were.

For those of you who don't already know, 15 miles is about the point in a ride where I start to lose steam completely.  A little food and rest is good enough for me to keep on pushing, but I was already starting to get fatigued.  I took two good falls on that last loop... On the first one I just hit my shin on a rock, which stinks, but, as it turns out, is a pretty familiar feeling for me.  The second fall sucked a little more, haha.  I don't even know what happened really, but I'm sure it had to do with being tired and not having good form.  I basically just got ejected from the bike and skidded a little before coming to a stop.  It wasn't a high risk fall or anything, but I did manage to land on the heel of my hand pretty hard.  Oddly, it doesn't hurt much to ride... Just to do everything else, heh.

Well, we were on our way out to the car to head to town, and somehow I got turned around on the trail.  There was a place where the trail split, but I only saw one direction to go... I felt like the trail should end soon, but somehow it just kept going.  It kept going uphill, which I didn't remember (but thought to myself, you just weren't paying attention or something).  Well I was exhausted and just couldn't find Ben, and usually he waits for me I yelled his name and he didn't answer, and that's when I began to figure out that I was lost.  Not like die-in-the-wilderness lost, but went-2-miles-in-the-wrong-direction and uphill-when-I'm-tired lost. So, what was there to do but start to cry, turn my bike around and totally pity myself as I worked my way back down.  A bit down the trail I heard someone yelling, so I yelled back... Yep, it was Ben, coming to my rescue.  Finally we caught up to each other and he practically collapsed from being so tired and scared that I was lost... And I just cried, some more... And then we went back to the car, and this time I did not get turned around.  I have to admit, even though I knew I wasn't in real trouble because I was on a trail, there was a part of me that really was scared to be somewhere completely unfamiliar and by myself... Not so good.

We got back to the car, both exhausted... I ended up clocking about 19 miles by the end of it all.  While kind of pleased with that outcome, the fact was that we were both coming off an adrenaline rush, we were hungry, my hand hurt, and Ben was having some bad sciatica type pain from pushing so hard there at the end. So, we opened two mini bottles of wine, got changed, and sat down for a bit... And then we made our way to the local brewery for dinner and a couple beers. We topped the night off with Advil and a movie, then hit the hay and slept for almost 11 hours.

The good thing is, we've already been laughing about it tons.  Ben told me "not to wonder off" when I went to brush my teeth last night... hopefully this isn't a trend I'll continue!  Today has been a better day, though we're both sore - and all of yesterday was good other than the getting lost business.  I'm blogging by campfire tonight... It's lovely, but my fingers are a little chilled, and dinner is almost finished (beef stroganoff), so I'll be getting back to you again soon :)


  1. AWW you guys!!! i'm so glad everything turned out ok! but frankly, it's about time you had a little "mishap" :) can't wait to read about where you bike next! i think it mentions it in the moab book, but there are several companies that run bike shuttles so you don't have to do too many "out and backs" if you don't want to (there are several out and back trails in the book). also, did you go to moab brewery? was it everything you hoped it'd be?! lots of love from the glas'!

  2. Haha, yeah it was about time. Moab brewery is the one we hit up... and it was awesome. Thanks for the love!

  3. I am happy for you that the mishap was not a HUGE problem for you. . . Although I bet it was pretty darn scary. I remember feeling "lost" in North Carolina before and it is not a good feeling. I hope you enjoy your next few rides! I am a bit jealous about your campfires.....